Tumaini: the Swahili word for Hope.
Tumaini Afrika Sault Ste. Marie, is a locally based group of volunteers who are dedicated to giving a "hand up" to children and youth in Africa. As we know, education is the key for developing productive healthy citizens who will be able to contribute to the leadership and the economy of a developing country. Through a variety of fund-raising initiatives, money is raised to support projects and programs that provide students with skills, lessons, and the opportunity for a sustainable life that will last them throughout their lives.
Tumaini Afrika is a Sault Ste. Marie-based, non-registered group of volunteers dedicated to working with children and women in Kenya.
Tumaini Afrika focuses on education as the key to empowering children and women to become confident, creative, self-reliant people whose personal growth and success will enable them to inspire others and become agents of change in their own communities.
Tumaini Afrika will achieve its vision for children and women in Kenya through
- A commitment to providing nutrition and supports for healthy living which facilitate learning.
- Working with Days for Girls to provide feminine hygiene kits and relevant sexual health education whenever possible
- Supporting girls' empowerment through sponsorship of Country Girls Caucus
- Supporting field trips and other projects for student groups based upon requests from trusted educators and contacts
- Providing school supplies and equipment for schools based upon requests from trusted educators and contacts
- Lending encouragement and moral support to women whose initiatives may lead to sustainable enterprise
- Fostering ongoing communication amongst educators and other supporters of children and women in Kenya
- Members absorbing many administrative costs such that funds raised are dedicated to achieving our Vision**
- Receiving and determining support for new proposals that lead to achieving Tumaini Afrika's vision